Saturday, February 18, 2012

Happy Birthday Al


Immediately I thought, 60, really.  Wow that’s a long time.  Monica, must have been like 7 or 8 years old when they married.  That’s weird, oh well…

I jotted down a few memories and unfortunately they might not mean a great deal to anyone but me, however they were great moments for me because of Al, I had a smile on my face the whole time thinking of all the fun I’ve had with my Cousin Al, MY Godfather.

My “blocks pajamas”-My folks were so proud of their nephew at the naval academy and Al had bought me a pair of pj’s with blocks on them.  Just this past week my Mom and I were laughing about how I looked forward to bedtime because I would always say, “I can’t go to bed with my blocks everywhere,  Cousin Al wouldn’t go to bed with his blocks scattered everywhere, right.”  We would just all laugh and next thing I would know I’d be in bed sooner than I should be.

Go Navy-Anyone that doesn’t think this is a unique thought didn’t have a soldier for a father.  Don’t get me wrong I did/have/will love my Dad very much, however I think he understood why I rooted for Navy in the Army-Navy game.  This thought passed when Al left active duty with the Navy and my father forgave me for my impure thoughts, ha.  Seriously, that is how much my Dad respected Al.  That’s pretty cool.

Me, chasing Al around my backyard with my Star Trek Gun-I know Al doesn’t remember this, however I remember him coming to visit our house and it was the best weekend ever.  I can remember it like it was yesterday.  I must have made him circle our house 100 times shooting him with my play gun.  I laugh just thinking about it.  Honestly, I’m laughing while I type this.

Meeting Monica-to be honest it may have been the same weekend of the Star Trek gun (ironically, I never liked Star Trek…I think Al did right? I remember trying to like Star Trek because he liked it).  I recall being  a little suspect of anyone barging in on my cousin/godfather’s attention, however that didn’t last long.  “Why” you may ask?  “Have you met Monica?” is my answer.  I still think he out kicked his coverage in that regard.

Watching Al smoke a cigar at his wedding- At Al’s reception, I watched him with a cigar in his mouth and I thought my world came to an end.   My hero smoked?  Seriously, my Mom had to console me by telling me Johnny Bench and Dave Concepcion did things that weren’t perfect and they are still good people.  This was a lot for a kid to grasp.

Lots of great cousin time-Through the years, I was always proud that when our family needed a strong cousin, Al would always take the lead in tough times.  He still does it to this day.  Thanks Al.

Going to Cooperstown with Al and really coming to the reality that he is a Yankee fan-This was a tough one.  I guess I knew from his wedding reception that he wasn’t perfect.  I just really didn’t know he was that much of a Yankee Fan.  I love the Gloff family (Bigtime Yankee Fans) more than you can ever know.  This is just tough stuff for us Watkins’ boys to grasp.  A Yankee fan.  Ten years ago, I think it was just after his 50th, I stopped by his place on a trip and we went through Cooperstown together.   The best part was how much we were in our own world, and lost track of each other as I followed the Reds’ dominance of the seventies display and he followed some team that is “so vice they named it twice.”  We seriously would find ourselves in different wings of the museum in just ten minutes.  Funny thing is I never felt like Al left my side.


I’m sure everyone has a different a description of Al Eaton.  That’s mine.  Hey Al, thanks for being MY Cousin and MY Godfather.   I know I’M Blessed.

My Favorite Photo of the Eaton Boys!

Happy Birthday Al!

No comments:

Post a Comment